Angel City Flyers

For this project, we got to use our full range of skills from concept to completion.

Strategy from take off

Pilots are detail oriented by nature—they have to be—so we had to make sure every decision was backed with strategy throughout this redesign project. We needed to fully immerse ourselves in the aviation industry to understand exactly who Angel City's clients where, how they made decisions and what fuled their love of flying.

We worked hand-in-hand with ACF on intense competitor research to ensure we knew exactly where they were positioned.

Once we fully understood their position in the aviation industry we worked on defining their core target audiences. Since they have a few different unique offerings we boiled it down to a handful of target groups and created a series of user personas that reflected each.

User Personas

The competitive analysis was also used to help define and validate functionality requirements—we now had an industry baseline along with inspiration for how to stand out.

Solid structure for directional stability

In order to ensure we were creating a solid structure we spent a significant amount of time on defining content, site and page structure as well as key user experiences.

A content audit gave us an overall view of what copy existed and was used as a starting point for an in-depth content outline which the copywriter and designers worked from. It also worked well as a check list for our project manager to make sure all of the content was accounted for in the copy deck.

The structure of the site was then brought to life visually in the form of a sitemap which functioned as a blueprint for following phases. It defined how pages within the site related to others, content heirarchy, navigation schemas and page/file naming conventions.

Page structure is typically presented as static or simple click-through wireframes, but to save time and give a better understanding of how the navigation and content worked together we built a prototype site in the actual content management system. Since we had not started on the visual or user interface design, we built the prototype using a template that resembled typical wireframes—black and white with no graphic styles to detract from the page structure.