Managing social media for a brand can be a handful to say the least, but it can also be a lot of fun. It takes time, research and creativity. Here are a few tips to get you started off in the right direction.
- Know your target audience – If you want your audience to be engaged you have to be aware of who you are addressing. Is it women, men, both? Are they young or old? Knowing who you want to reach will help you form your voice, so that when you speak to them, they are more inclined to respond to you. You wouldn't address teenagers the same way you would their parents.
- Know your voice - Once you figure out whom you are addressing you can find your voice, which will set the tone for all your social media communications, showing off the people behind your brand’s personality and adding a little life to your products.
- Listen to your audience – what’s the point of having a conversation with someone if you are not listening to what they are saying? One of the main purposes of social media is to build relationships and that doesn’t really work if all you do is talk about your brand without taking into consideration what your customers are saying.
- Plan ahead – monthly or bi-weekly social media calendars are a great tool to use when managing a brands social media channels. They allow you to plan ahead, save time and stay organized.
- Proof your work – even though 90% of all social media platforms have edit functionalities for when you make a mistake on a post, you should always proof your posts before sending them out. It just doesn’t look professional if you send something out and an hour later have to either delete, repost or edit what was originally posted. (Social media calendars are also great for making sure you proof your work)
- Stay up to date on the latest trends – social media is always changing, new trends are created all the time so do your research, pay attention to what other brands are doing and see if it is something that can work for you.